Why set up a notification channel?
Studies show that companies investing in sustainable business get a 5–15-year head start over their competitors. A notification channel is a part of a company’s responsible operations, and it is required and appreciated by personnel, customers and stakeholders alike.
With the Finland Chamber of Commerce’s Notification Channel service, your organization will be able to provide whistleblowers an anonymous and reliable way to report malpractice and irregularities at an early stage. It will be easy for the people receiving notifications in the service to manage and process notifications. The notification channel will enable your organization to meet the requirements of the upcoming whistleblower protection law.
Who should be able to submit a notification?
At a minimum, an organization’s current employees must be able to submit notifications.
Protection against retaliation is also given to
- current and former employees as well as jobseekers
- potential volunteers and trainees
- employees of subcontractors and suppliers
If the organization has set up a notification channel solely for their personnel, the other persons mentioned above can report their concerns directly to the authority’s notification channel. Notification channels are therefore often activated for all of the groups mentioned above.
Design internal processes when activating a notification channel:
1. Name the person or unit responsible for operating the notification channel
2. Design notification processing procedures that are appropriate for your organization, while taking data protection and data security into account:
- Who in your organization is responsible for receiving, processing and following up on notifications?
- What steps are being taken to ensure that the deadlines for processing notifications are met?
- How often and to whom are notifications reported?
- Where are received notifications archived, and what information is stored in the archive?
3. Ensure that your personnel and stakeholders can find your company’s notification channel. The channel’s existence can be communicated to personnel in, for example, the intranet, and to other stakeholders on the website. State the notification channel’s purpose clearly.